I’ve had the very good fortune to call Southeast Asia home for the past 10 years, first in Vietnam, and now in the Philippines. I’ve photographed in some of the most stunning areas of a region that is pretty much filled with stunning areas – from the limestone cliffs of Halong Bay (Vietnam) and Krabi (Thailand), the temples of Angkor (Cambodia) and Bagan (Myanmar), to the backwaters of Kerela (India) and rice paddies of Ubud (Bali).
So I work in some pretty amazing locations. But a lot of hard work goes into executing great photography in these places. Pretty scenery doesn’t always make an interesting picture, and I do a lot of research, planning, location scouting and test shoots to make sure that on the day of your wedding or engagement session, we’re able to make the best images possible.
Anyway, here’s a short list of some of my favorite venues and locations around the region that I’ve worked at so far. It’s a work in progress, and I’ll keep adding places as I travel….
– Six Senses, Ninh Vinh Bay, Nha Trang :: A complete stunner. The most jaw-dropping resort I’ve ever been to. Shocking. Amazing. Etc. . .
– Sofitel Metropole, Hanoi :: The Grand Dame of Hanoi. Maybe the best colonial-style hotel in Asia, with apologies to Bangkok’s Oriental.
– Park Hyatt, Ho Chi Minh City :: If you have to go ballroom in Saigon, do it here. Nobody does it better.
– Life Resort, Hoi An :: Easily the best hotel in the old town. Not so much a wedding venue as a great place for family and friends to stay.
– Red Bridge, Hoi An :: Chill, relaxed, village in-a-jungle vibe. I’ve shot a lot of weddings here, and they’ve all been fantastic.
– La Veranda, Phu Quoc :: French colonial on the beach. Great place in my favorite sun and surf spot in Vietnam.
– Six Senses, Con Dao :: OK, I actually haven’t been here yet. But it looks insane. Please book me as your wedding photographer here.
– Sava Villa, Phuket :: Private villa weddings are a great alternative to big resorts in Thailand. Sava is one of the best.
– Trisara, Phuket :: Classy beach opulence done right.
– Sri Panwa, Phuket :: Beach party opulence done right.
– The Peninusla Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand :: Classy joint by the river.
– The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Bangkok Thailand :: Historic classy joint by the river. Second only to Hanoi’s Metropole for history and “this writer slept here” vibe.
CAMBODIA + LAOS :
– Luang Prabang, Laos :: UNESCO World Heritage site, romantic French colonial town on the banks of the Mekong. My favorite town in Southeast Asia. More couples should marry here. Do it. Check out Mekong Estate and 3 Nagas.
– Siem Reap, Cambodia :: Home of Angkor temples. And a pretty cool little town in its own right, with a growing arts and food scene. Should be on everyone’s bucket list. Siem Reap has possibly the greatest concentration of fantastic boutique hotels and resorts in the region. But you can’t go wrong with the classic Hotel de la Paix. Oui!